Re: Απ: accented chars. shown as question marks in black diamonds in mozilla

Nick Demou wrote:

<disclaimer>ROUGH EXPLANATIONS</>

when one writes a text in a text-editor the text-editor must store it
in the disk as a series of numbers (for example ABC will become
65,66,67)
  this is called encoding the text
when your browser renders that text in the screen it must convert the
series of numbers to glyphs of letters (for example 65,66,67 will be
presented as ABC)
   this is called decoding

in order for this to work the two programs (text editor and browser)
should agree in order to use the same rules of conversion (for example
A<->65, B<->66,...)

I am familiar with the above.

this is where everything gets messed up because there are more than
one possible encoding rules and web server, a database server, a lot
of programmers and sysadmins and heaven knows what else in between the
two programs. You the user then, must try a few possible encoding and
see what works. Not too difficult just use the view->encoding menu.
Still it is annoying

Right.

in the case of this page the text is really encoded as iso8859-1 (as
you can find out if you manually select this encoding when everything
displays properly) but the html code reports that it's text is encoded
as UTF-8 (as you can see if you look at the first lines of the html
source: content="text/html; charset=utf-8" - you can see the source
with menu->view->page source).

So its a problem that only time.com can solve properly

For a moment pretend that I am the person responsible to do that (HTML programmer or HTML editor or whatever). What would I do to resolve this?

My guess: use an HTML editor which supports UTF-8? Then the tag in the web page, content="text/html; charset=utf-8", would specify the encoding, the editor would input proper encoding of the character and my UTF-8 enabled browser should show the characters exactly as they were typed(?)

->HS