Re: Installing vim 7.0

On 5 Mar 2007 13:49:17 -0800
"kevinold@gmail.com" <kevinold@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 4:20 pm, Celejar <cele...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5 Mar 2007 12:39:42 -0800
> >
> > "kevin...@gmail.com" <kevin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> >
> > > I'm a long time RH/Fedora sysadmin/user and have decided to use Debian
> > > 3.1r5 on my server at home.  I downloaded the bootable Network CD
> > > (180MB) and then via the config after boot I installed additional
> > > packages.
> >
> > > Everything is working fine and I installed vim 6.3 (current stable
> > > version) via aptitude and all works well.  Except that I want vim 7.
> > > It is available in the testing and unstable repositories, but when I
> > > do an "aptitude install vim" it wants to remove my current kernel.
> >
> > I would guess that this is because it depends on libc6 >= 2.3.6-6, but
> > I may be totally wrong.
> >
> > > I also tried to install vim 7 from source, but when compiling it
> > > determined that I didn't have ncurses installed.  Again aptitude wants
> > > to delete my current running kernel but didn't say anything about
> > > installing ncurses.
> >
> > Did you install libncurses-dev? It contains the development files for
> > building ncurses apps.
>

> This is what I get when I try to install libncurses-dev
>
> kold:~# aptitude install libncurses-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> Note: selecting "libncurses5-dev" instead of the
>       virtual package "libncurses-dev"
> The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
>   tzdata
> The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
>   kernel-image-2.4.27-3-386

[snipped info about packages held back]

>   libncurses5-dev tzdata
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   kernel-image-2.4.27-3-386
>   libc6 libc6-dev libncurses5 locales
> 4 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 189 not
> upgraded.
> Need to get 13.5MB of archives. After unpacking 20.8MB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
>

> Any ideas?

libncurses5-dev depends on libncurses5, which depends on libc6 >=
2.3.6-6, which I believe conflicts with 2.4 series kernels. I have a
similar issue on a system of mine; I can't upgrade libc6 to a recent
version without removing my 2.4 kernel. I think the conflict might have
something to do with the initrd-tools package, but I'm not totally
sure; I'm not at that system now.

Celejar