Installing vim 7.0

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time RH/Fedora sysadmin/user and have decided to use Debian
3.1r5 on my server at home.  I downloaded the bootable Network CD
(180MB) and then via the config after boot I installed additional
packages.

Everything is working fine and I installed vim 6.3 (current stable
version) via aptitude and all works well.  Except that I want vim 7.
It is available in the testing and unstable repositories, but when I
do an "aptitude install vim" it wants to remove my current kernel.

I also tried to install vim 7 from source, but when compiling it
determined that I didn't have ncurses installed.  Again aptitude wants
to delete my current running kernel but didn't say anything about
installing ncurses.

Just wondering if others have had this experience and know of any
fixes.

Thanks for any help,
Kevin