Re: how to send files from a pc to my home server and viceversa

Jordi wrote:
Hello

Yesterday I was able to run my server. I have 2 computers at home, one
is server and the other is not. Both are connected to router. One uses
Xubuntu and the other Windows XP.
I know Xubuntu is not Debian but it is based on it. Few people in
Xubuntu know how to do this, I asked, no solution was found to me.

What do you recommend me to send files between them? I mean, send
files from the server to the other to save backups, and from the XP to
the server to send files for anything.

To make a ftp server? Or what?
Thanks again

The most convenient way is to use the Windows file-share protocol
SMB. You need to set up XP to share files. I can't remember how
to do that, but the network wizard should have it somewhere.

Windows wants a workgroup name, pick anything you like up to 8
characters. It should work for longer names, but I would not
like to guarantee that. If you are running the built-in firewall,
you may need to adjust it to allow Windows File and Print Sharing.

Almost certainly reboot. Right click on a suitable folder and
enable sharing, despite the warning. Tell it you understand what
that means and do it anyway. Give it a suitable name, which is
what other computers will see. They will not see the actual folder
name. Remember to enable writing, shares are read-only by default.

Look in My Network Places (ugh) and keep expanding things. You
should eventually see your computer and the folder you just shared.
In Windows Explorer, that folder icon should have a hand (that's
what it is) under it.

Once you've got that far, Ubuntu should have various tools to access
it. I don't use Ubuntu, so I can't help too much, but Konqueror can
see Windows shares (URL is smb://<server>/<sharename>). It is
possible to drag and drop in a similar way to Windows Explorer.

Look for various Ubuntu tools with 'network' in the name, one or
more should work with Windows networking, and expect to tell it
the workgroup name you chose for the Windows machine. Better still,
ask on the Ubuntu forum.

If you look up the fstab man page, and study the file /etc/fstab,
you can work out how to mount the share at boot time. The share
will then appear as a Linux directory in the Ubuntu filesystem,
and any file moving or copying technique should work. Here is a
line from my Debian Sid workstation, referring to a share on the
server debian: (it's all one line in /etc/fstab)

//debian/Joe  /mnt/debserve/Joe  smbfs  user,guest,dmask=777,
                                                  fmask=777,rw

The directory /mnt/debserve/Joe must be created on the Linux machine
first.

Yes, it's a Windows share that actually lives on a Debian machine
but behaves as a real Windows share would. More or less. Permissions
can be a bit tricky. There may well be a tool to share directories on
the Ubuntu machine so that the XP machine can see them. If not, there's
quite a lot more involved doing it that way round. Check to see if the
smbd and nmbd daemons are running on Ubuntu. If so, there's probably
a fairly easy way, they are the services which make Linux directories
available as Windows shares.