Subtle but annoying X startup problem

I have used Linux for several years, but always in CLI only mode.  I
have a Debian box running mail and webservers and also a couple of NSLU2
'slugs' running Armeb Debian.  And they're all fine.

Recently, however,I installed Etch with the default desktop settings, on
a PC of reasonably modern spec, to see how Gnome and KDE had matured
since I last tried them, some three or four years ago.

The installation went well and the only real problem was due to my Sharp
19" LCD monitor, which although detected, was not recognised, resulting
in my first sight of a Linux GUI for some years looking less than
impressive at only 640x480 rather than the expected 1280x1024
resolution.

This was initially sorted out by adding the correct range of values for
HorizSync and VertRefresh (31.5-80 kHz and 56-75 Hz) under the Monitor
section in xorg.conf.  This allowed me to select 1280x1024, albeit with
a low refresh rate (I am used to 75Hz on this same PC and monitor under
Windoze).

After some Googling, I learned about modelines, found the correct data
from the Xorg.log file and added modelines for  "1280x1024@75",
"1024x768@75" and "800x600@75" under the Monitor section and a
corresponding line: 'modes "1280x1024@75" "1024x768@75" "800x600@75"' in
the Display sub-section under the Screen section.  I think I have done
this correctly and it does start up in 1280x1024 at 75Hz - but only
after an annoying delay.

My problem is more of an irritation than a real problem.  When starting,
it is as if the system is reluctant to use 'my' settings and insists on
trying out of range (for my monitor) values first.  What I see is the
monitor's 'On Screen Display' showing "Out of Timing, V 82Hz, H 36.8kHz"
(which is, indeed, out of timing range for the V value) and this stays
there for several long seconds - (it seems ages when watching it) -
before it gives up and starts X, which it does, correctly, at 75Hz.

Thereafter, all is well.  I am impressed.  So, is this a 'known'
problem?  Should I just ignore it?

The video card is an ATI Radeon 9600 All-in-Wonder, apparently working
correctly, although I realise the video capture facility is not, or at
least not easily, supported under Linux.

dmesg shows nothing relevant, there are a few errors in the Xorg and kdm
logs, but these do not *seem* to be related, BICBW.

TIA

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
http://pippin.co.uk/