Re: large characters in console after switching back from X11

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 02:34:51PM +0100, J. Wuttke wrote:
> New Debian installation (netinstall 4.0 beta as of 17jan07, X11 from
> today's mirror image) on a Lenovo T60 laptop.

Welcome.

> X11 works fine.

Good, that is normally the trickier part to get right.

> <alt><ctrl><F1> brings me to a console which is in an anomalous state:
> everything is printed in HUGE CHARACTERS, and it does not scroll.
>
> <alt><ctrl><F7> brings me back to X11 which is still working fine.

That should be <alt><F7> for console --> X

> The console problem is reproducible.
>
> It does not depend on the window manager (occurs with xdm as well as with
> gdm).

xdm and gdm are not window managers and are unrelated to the console.

What is in /etc/console-tools/config?
e.g.
root@kan:/var/cache/apt/archives# less /etc/console-tools/config

After

# Turn on numlock by default
#LEDS=+num

try adding

APP_CHARSET_MAP=iso15
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc1=iso15
SCREEN_FONT=lat0-sun16

There are other fonts to try in:
/usr/share/consolefonts/

You may have to 'apt-get install console-tools' first.

You may also think about subscribing to the debian-laptop mailing list.

--
Chris.
======