Re: resolv.conf file is written over on reboot.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 11:34:46PM +0100, Jhair Tocancipa Triana wrote:
> jdaues  writes:
>
> > So I installed resolvconf, and then reentered the values for the
> > network. I rebooted and now resolv.conf is this:
>
> > # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> > resolvconf(8)
> > #    DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
>
> > There is no mention of glibc in the resolvconf README file.
> > What is this telling me?
>
> You need to configure resolvconf.

The resolvconf package acts like a refferee when different packages want
to change /etc/resolv.conf at different times.  It notes what each
package tries to do so that when the package undoes what it thought it
did, you're left with an accurate resolv.conf file.

My Etch installer put the resolvconf hook already in
/etc/network/interfaces.  Thus when eth0 comes it, the nameserver gets
posted correctly:

	# The primary network interface
	allow-hotplug eth0
	iface eth0 inet static
		address 192.168.1.1
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		network 192.168.1.0
		broadcast 192.168.1.255
		gateway 192.168.1.3
		# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf
		# package if installed
		dns-nameservers 192.168.1.3

Here, 192.168.1.3 is my firewall 486 box.

Between the two, this works.  I didn't have to tweak anything after the
install.

Doug.