IP Address networking - best way?

A very newbie question and one that I hope you guys can shed some light on.

I currently have a server with an IP range of 70.87.206.50/4 and I
need to configure the server to see all 5 IP addresses.

Currently my /etc/network/interfaces is configured as:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
       address 70.87.206.50
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       gateway 70.87.206.49

I thought that adding the following would allow me to assign and use
the other IPs on the server:

auto eth0:0
iface eth0:0 inet static
       address 70.87.206.51
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       gateway 70.87.206.49

Turns out that after an "/etc/init.d/networking restart" all that
happened was I killed networking and can't access the server at all.

My hosting providers are removing my addition to the file but I now
have no idea how to allocate these other IPs to the server. Help!
--
Regards
Justin Hartman