Re: On Etch can't to remove a broken package

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 18:24:30 +0100, csanyipal wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Etch I have installed a package: ltmodem-2.6.8-2-386 that I
> have been downloaded. This installation wasn't success.
>
> After that this package came to be broken.
>
> If I try to remove this package, I get an error message:
>
> ------------------>
> (Reading database ... 60952 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing ltmodem-2.6.8-2-386 ...
> find: warning: you have specified the -mindepth option after a
> non-option argument -name, but options are not positional \
>  (-mindepth affects tests specified before it as well as those \
>  specified  after it).  Please specify options before other \
>  arguments.
>
> find: warning: you have specified the -maxdepth option after a
> non-option argument -name, but options are not positional \
>  (-maxdepth affects tests specified before it as well as \
>  those specified after it).  Please specify options before \
>  other arguments.
>
> Could not identify your distribution's way of automatically \
>
> dpkg: error processing ltmodem-2.6.8-2-386 (--remove):
>  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
>  ltmodem-2.6.8-2-386
> ------------------<
>
> What can I do to solve this problem?

ltmodem is not an official Debian package. I think I know how to fix
your problem, but please realize that I have not tested this. Use the
following advice at your own risk.

The post-removal script seems to have a bug: It looks for
/etc/modprobe.conf (which is absent on a standard Etch system) and
/etc/modprobe.d/ltmodem (which is missing because the package
installation failed). Finding neither file, the script assumes that
something is wrong with your modprobe infrastructure and it exits with
an error.

I think you can trick the script by creating a small dummy file which
looks like it was generated during the ltmodem installation. The postrm
script can then remove this dummy file and it will be happy that it did
its job. Make sure that /etc/modprobe.d/ltmodem does not exist and run
(as root)

echo "# lt_serial" > /etc/modprobe.d/ltmodem

I would expect that you can remove the package normally after you do
this.

--
Regards,
          Florian