Re: ..OT: Watch your snow load!

Roberto writes:
> I see.  Minimal moving parts, right?

Right.  Does need a hardened steel bit, of course.  Google knows all about
it, as well as other approaches such as jet drilling.

Roberto writes:
> True.  However, PVC casings are also used.  They are probably not as
> good, but a foot of 6" PVC is way cheaper than a foot of 6" steel casing.

Plastic wouldn't stand up to the forces exerted by a cable drill.  I think
you could use plastic with a rotary drill, though.  In the long run plastic
would be better as it would never rust out.  Steel always does, eventually.

Might there also be regulatory barriers and/or water-rights problems?  I
can imagine that a guy with an expensive drill rig might not be willing to
drill an "illegal" well, whereas a bunch of guys with shovels...
--
John Hasler