Re: [OT] CVS vs. SVN

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, David Christensen wrote:

David - I've been using SVN for over a year and, Like you, I used CVS for several years prior to that.

I've been using CVS (and RCS before it) for several years new.  I've
also looked at switched to SVN, but seem to recall that there was an SVN
"feature" whereby SVN applied to same version number to all files in the
project (repository?) whenever you checked something in.  I prefer a
more traditional scheme whereby version numbers are managed on a
per-file basis, and only change when the file changes.  Did I
misunderstand something?

RE: above...  when you check in  [commit] changed files,  SVN does NOT
change the  revision numbers of ALL  the files in  the repositiory. If
you do  a 'status -v' of  the repository you'll note  that the version
numbers of only changed files  are incremented. The version numbers of
remaining  files that  correspond to  that particular  revision remain
unchanged.

I also need CVS's ability to deal with line endings, because I move text
files, source code, etc., between Windows/Cygwin and Linux for
development, testing, and use.  Can SVN deal with the various line
endings automatically like CVS?

I also move  files as you do and have never  experienced a problem. If
you are  referring to the  '^M' characters that  appear at the  end of
each line, I'm not sure about that. The terminal emulator you're using
might be of some help there.

Attila