Re: Modified Config Files

On Dec 17, 2006, at 5:32 AM, Chris Stork wrote:

Douglas Tutty wrote:

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 04:52:19AM +0100, Chris Stork wrote:
Hi,

What would be an easy way to list the config files that have been changed on my system?

Find a file that was created/modified when you installed.  Note that
date.
Use find to find all files in /etc/ newer than that date.

If it was that easy... I am talking about systems that received hundreds of updates already so that file dates differ a lot.

In any case, none of this bookkeeping should be necessary since the package DB knows the default content (or the hash thereof) of config files.

Why?

Firstly, I just want to know how much these systems are customized and what exactly has been customized. Secondly, I'd like to distribute some of these customizations to other systems.

This is a common problem for me. I'm not the kind of sysadmin who takes copious notes on everything I do. But when I finally get it right, I need to be able to get the same rightness everywhere.

It would be really cool if there were a well documented, simple, incantation that I could use to get the list of all configuration changes made to a system. I wouldn't mind if it took some time to run. It just needs to be accurate and complete.

Thanks!

Rick