Re: Need to remove a ghost file, but can't because it doesn't exist

On 2006-11-16 @ 10:42:25 (week 46) Bob McGowan wrote:

> First, HdV has discovered his problem is directory structure corruption.
>  This is the correct answer, based on all the failed attempts to
> remove, in one way or another, this file.

Indeed. What most of the proposed methods had in common was that they
needed to have a valid reference to the file first. However that
reference proved to be corrupt and thus none of those methods would
work. Even though the methods in themselves were correct, they all
started with the same premise (being that the filename or the
interpretation of it by the shell or the application in use was somehow
the problem). [1]

I kept hoping I would be able to dodge the bullet of having to do
something drastic and possibly dangerous on my server (which ultimately
I had to do anyway with 'reiserfsck --rebuild-tree'). I wasn't keen on
doing that. Mainly because I don't have physical access to the host and
I don't have remote terminal facilities to it in case the system would
crash and fail to come up again.

To be honest installing Debian GNU/Linux on it a couple of years ago
using debootstrap was enough of a scare for me. I still keep my fingers
crossed after building new kernels and rebooting that system. Call me a
wuss... }:-)

> I'd like to clarify what has been said by John (above) and others, for
> future reference.  Note this is my understanding and interpretation,
> based on reading M. Bach's "The Design of the UNIX Operating System",
> and other texts.

It was some years ago I had read the theory on that. Thanks for the
refresher. Always good to know these things.

Grx HdV

[1] This is in no way meant as critisism on those who tried to help me!