Re: launcher for terminal ap

Mark Grieveson writes:

> Einar Olason wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the exo-open command, but you could try xterm -e
>> dict . I have a very old version of XFCE here at work and there is a
>> command here called xfterm4 which starts your preferred shell as
>> defined by the TERMCMD variable. xfterm4 -e dict should also work in
>> most cases. In general the -e 'command' option seems to work with most
>> graphic terminals (e.g. rxvt and konsole).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Einar
>>

>> 2006/11/14, Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net>:

> Hello Einar.  I tried the -e command (xterm -e dict), but it did not
> work.  The terminal appears for a second, but then dies.

Maybe you can try with an expect[1] script? Something like:

#!/usr/bin/expect -f

send_user "Word?\ "
expect_user -re "(.*)\n"
exec dict "$expect_out(1,string)\n"

exit

If you execute that script it will ask for a word and pass it to dict
(you need to have expect installed).

This is my first expect script, so probably there are much better ways
to solve your problem.

HTH,

[1] apt-cache show expect

--