Re: xfce4 and automount usb stick icons on desktop

Brad Sawatzky wrote:

> I would check the following:
>   - watch /var/log/messages (I think) to see if udev is actually
>     recognizing your usb stick when it's plugged in,

Yes, it does.

>   - that 'hald' is running,

Didn't verify, but I am pretty sure it is running. Had to install hal
though after the base install.

>   - that 'gnome-volume-manager' is running, and

Aha. Did not install gnome* packages at all. Maybe this is the problem.
I hope I do not have to install all of gnome for this.

>   - that the appropriate "auto-mount" boxes are checked in the
>     'gnome-volume-properties' program.
>
> 'hald' runs as the system-user 'hal' and should start when you boot.
> 'gnome-volume-manager' runs as the logged in user and should start with
> your X session.  Under earlier versions of xfce4 I had to manually start
> gnome-volume-manager when I logged in (autostart script).  With the current
> version (4.3.90.2) it is started without my script.  I'm not sure what
> mechanism is starting it now (session manager maybe?).
>
>> A little google search hinted that xffm file manager may be needed for�
>> usb automounting but the package appears not be present in Etch.
>
> xffm shouldn't have anything to do with it (but it might be automagically
> starting gnome-volume-manager if it isn't already running).

Thanks for your input. I will install gnome-volume-manager and report
how it went.

BTW, is gnome-volume-manager a must for this automounting functionality?
Isn't there any other application that does this? Just curious.

regards,
->HS