Re: xfce4 and automount usb stick icons on desktop

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, H.S. wrote:

> I was wondering if automounting of USB sticks works in xfce4 in Debian�
> Etch. I tried it yesterday and couldn't figure out how to do this.�
> Automounting of a CD works when inserted in the drive though.

It's been working for me (etch, same kernel version).

I would check the following:
  - watch /var/log/messages (I think) to see if udev is actually
    recognizing your usb stick when it's plugged in,
  - that 'hald' is running,
  - that 'gnome-volume-manager' is running, and
  - that the appropriate "auto-mount" boxes are checked in the
    'gnome-volume-properties' program.

'hald' runs as the system-user 'hal' and should start when you boot.
'gnome-volume-manager' runs as the logged in user and should start with
your X session.  Under earlier versions of xfce4 I had to manually start
gnome-volume-manager when I logged in (autostart script).  With the current
version (4.3.90.2) it is started without my script.  I'm not sure what
mechanism is starting it now (session manager maybe?).

> A little google search hinted that xffm file manager may be needed for�
> usb automounting but the package appears not be present in Etch.

xffm shouldn't have anything to do with it (but it might be automagically
starting gnome-volume-manager if it isn't already running).

-- Brad