Re: Dependency Injection

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 07:02:40PM +0200, Lars Roland wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I need to get mysql 4 running on a debian etch box, mysql 4.1 and 5
> will not do. If I try to grab mysql 4 from sarge I run into the
> problem that mysql-client depends on libreadline4 and I already have
> readline-common installed which blocks libreeadline4. Uninstalling
> readline-common is not and options since core software depends on it,
> so what I am looking for is a way to tell apt that readline-common
> provides libreadline4 so mysql-client can be installed.
>
> So basically is there a way to tell apt that a needed package is
> already installed even though one already on the system blocks this
> package ?

You have to options:

1. You can use the equivs package to "fool" dpkg into thinking that a
package is there when it is not.  This is commonly used, for example, by
people who want to install things like apache from upstream source, but
then also install Debian packages which depend on apache.

2. You can "forwardport" mysql4 from Sarge to Etch.  That is, instead of
backporting from Etch to Sarge, as is normally done, you bring the old
source package from Sarge to Etch and then build it on Etch.  I have
written a howto on customizing Debian packages, which also applies to
simply recompiling for a different release:

http://people.connexer.com/~roberto/howtos/debcustomize

I think that option 2 is more correct.  That way you know that you are
using libraries available in Etch.

Regards,

-Roberto
--