Re: Debian Love

Jason Martens wrote:
It seems that morale is a bit low among the developers right now, so I
thought it might be nice for all of us users to remind them why Debian
is such an awesome project.  I love Debian. I love how the system works.
I love the quality of the packages.  I love that it lets me do what I
want to do, and does not try to dictate how to do things.
To all of you Debian developers, thank you.  I really appreciate the
work you do. Keep it up!

Jason Martens
Debian Lover

Debian is a wonderful user-friendly distribution. I have used Fedora in the past and now and then boot into it just to get a feel. Compared to the package management system in Fedora, Debian's is bleeding edge technology. The fact that is was developed so many years ago just shows how advanced this all is! It is stable, even across distribution versions, featureful and sensible.

Overall the distribution is based on very good sound principles. The maintainers are an excellent lot. The mailing lists just show how nice and wise Debian users are (don't believe me? Go to a linux newsgroup (alt.os.linux I think) and see how expert linux users can be snobbish and rude to newbies. I was a newbie once, I have experienced that).

Also, Debian community members appear to know what they are doing. The mailing list is full of responses that show clearly how helpful they are. I will try not to bash M$, but go visit a XP newsgroups on Microsoft servers, it is chaotic and so 'random' as compared to Debian mailing lists. There, nobody seems to have any idea what is going on. The problems are stated in shreds without any relevant facts, the responses are based on assumptions and hardly deal with the real issues. Compared to that, Debian community is heaven!!I love Debain.

Keep up the excellent work, Debian Developers. You guys are simply great.

->HS