Re: '/dev' nodes not getting populated

Hello All,

I picked up on a recent conversation from this list here:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/256763

I'm having exactly the same problem. Does Kevin Mark or anybody else know where I can find more information about the "initscript upgrade error", or how to fix this problem? I checked around in bugs.debian.org/initscripts, bugs.debian.org/sysvinit, and google, and can't find anything useful about the situation.

A friend and much wiser Debian user than I took a look at my problem and determined that by commenting out the "return" in the mount_tmpfs() below from the udev startup script, /dev gets populated as normal, and things go back to usual, minus the hacked script (around line 23):

mount_tmpfs() {
  if grep -E -q "^[^[:space:]]+ /dev tmpfs" /proc/mounts; then
    echo "Looks like /dev is already mounted.  Let's keep going anyway."
    # return
  fi

We weren't, however, able to determine why /dev was being mounted with the tmpfs ahead of the udev script.

I am but a newbie Debian user, so please feel free to point me at the right documentation or bug report.

TIA,
Michael