config mixer device for aumix

I upgraded from sarge to etch, and now console sound apps like
aumix and mp3blaster won't work (sound apps work fine in X).
During boot, the following message is displayed:

"Restoring mixer settings: failed"

If I run 'aumix', it says "aumix:  error opening mixer".  The
default mixer it is looking for, /dev/mixer, does not exist.  I
looked around in /dev/ and found the following:

"crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 0 2005-02-26 01:39 /dev/.static/dev/mixer"

If I run 'aumix -d /dev/.static/dev/mixer', then it works as it
 should, even if I kill it and then just run 'aumix' without the
'-d' option.  If I then shutdown or reboot, I see a message about
the mixer and muting being saved.  However, on the next boot,
it once again says: "Restoring mixer settings: failed".

I can get mp3blaster to work by including mixer and sound
device settings in ~/.mp3blasterrc.  However, I can't
find a way to save the mixer device setting for aumix.  The
$HOME/.aumixrc and /etc/aumixrc files just seem to hold
volume settings, not the mixer device setting.

I went to the url mentioned in the man page,
http://lilax.org/wws/info/aumix-l , but there is nothing about
aumix there, just some kind of "placeholder" search page.

I am using kernel 2.6.15-1-k7.