Re: Email programs that work.

Am 2006-08-29 16:13:05, schrieb Dmitri Minaev:
> If you pardon my jumping in, gentlemen, I would say that Mutt does not
> work with IMAP.

False

> Mutt can read mail stored in IMAP folders, but working with IMAP takes
> more than that. Folder manipulation (create/share/delete), moving

Mutt create automaticaly the required folders.

OK, deleting is a problem and shared folders must be created on the
IMAP server, but they are tools (e.g. tdmuttcourier) to do this.
Same for deleting of folders...

> items between folders, server-side search, filtering is the minimum

??? What are you talking about?

Moving of messages inside an IMAP account is the same as for local
mailboxes.  Mutt support Server-Side searches (must be supported by
the IMAP-Server)

Filtering is nut a MUA question but MDA like procmail and maildrop
since they are integrated in the server.

If not, I would not be very happy with my ISP <www.freenet.de>
which support asmtp, imaps, pop3 for free (20 MByte account and
for 2,30 Euro a 2500 MByte account)...

> set for a MUA to be called IMAP-enabled [1]. If Mutt can simulate

Filtering is THE JOB of the Mailserver receiving the messages.
I have not the time to wait some days for filtering if I was
for some weeks in Near-East like for 2 month...

IF you MUA must filter, I had 58.000 legitim messages in 6 weeks
plus more then 180.000 Spams...

How many Messages can kmail or Mozilla/Tbird handel per hour?

> these actions by employing other tools, like procmail and bogofilter,

mutt does NOT employ procmail or bogofilter, since this are
tools on the server side and have NOTHING to do with a MUA.

> doesn't mean it can work with IMAP

What are you talkin about?
What are you smoking?

Can you GUI BS handel 20.000 Messages per day?

mutt can, because mutt must not do the stuff of a Server.

Imagine I get 20 times more spam on the E-mail I use here then
legetim messages which are around 350 per day.  So, if your MUA
is filtering, THEN it MUST download 7350 Messages to get the 350
legetim messages...

Are you masochist?

> Actually, considering the number of tools Mutt uses for work, I
> suspect that it 'sucks less' just because it does less. You retrieve

mutt can much more as all GUI BS together.
And it does do stuf for which the IMAP server is responsable.

> mail with fetchmail or isync, filter it with procmail, write new
> messages with vim and send them with msmtp. What does Mutt do, then?
> ;)

Read properly filtered Messages without ballast.

I have:

ext. IMAP-Account  => fetchmail => procmail => courier-imap
                                    /
                                   /
               courier-mta => -----

So where is the problem?

> I generally like TUI tools, but neither Mutt, nor Pine give me what I
> get with GUI clients. I would be glad to see a decent TUI IMAP client,
> though. Alpine, you said? Hmm. Don't think so.

Maybe you go back to Windows?
Someone like you will never understood, why Unices are more
powerfull as Windows and all this GUI stuff which is only
there to make bad publicity (powered by M$) over the Unices

> Anyway, TUI clients share the same problem -- you cannot open more
> than one message. Am I asking too much? :)

You read more then One message at a time?
Are ou an extraterest?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)