Re: Is Xen for Stable/Unstable distro a good idea?

El mar, 27-06-2006 a las 18:01 +0300, David Baron escribió:
> > 1.  Is Xen mainly for sharing multiple operating systems running together,
> > or are there some other really interesting uses?
>
> Xen is an advanced virtual machine. You can run one version of linux or such
> inside your installed version. Useful for testing the new version out,
> running things in a protected environment. I am no expert but I do not
> believe "sharing" is going on.
>
> Less advanced, easy to set up and use is qemu (using the kqemu accelerator
> kernel module).
>
> Both run off disk images, not real file systems.

	This is not true. I don't qemu well, but I think it could use a real
filesystem. And I am sure that xen can use it. It could you the
filesystem type you want (a file, a real filesystem in a partition, a
filesystem in a logical volumen, an iscsi disk, etc.). All you need is
that your kernel support it.

	There is a real very interesting use: the use of virtualization to
consolidate servers. One of the problems of organizations is the number
of infraused (is this the english word?) servers. With virtualization
you can use one physical servers to deploy several virtual servers (one
server as email server, another for web, another...). For this kind of
use, xen is a good solution. Another (non-free) solution could be vmware
esx. qemu is not a solution. In fact, there are service providers that
offers virtual servers for renting.

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática