Re: Is Xen for Stable/Unstable distro a good idea?

> 1.  Is Xen mainly for sharing multiple operating systems running together,
> or are there some other really interesting uses?

Xen is an advanced virtual machine. You can run one version of linux or such
inside your installed version. Useful for testing the new version out,
running things in a protected environment. I am no expert but I do not
believe "sharing" is going on.

Less advanced, easy to set up and use is qemu (using the kqemu accelerator
kernel module).

Both run off disk images, not real file systems.

> 2.  If you want to run Etch when it is stable, but need a package in
> Unstable is it better to.
>       a.)   Use "unofficially" supported backports?
>       b.)   Scrap stable and just go unstable?
>       c.)   Use Xen to run Unstable inside of stable?

I am no expert. However, why not just install of "official" package from
unstable. You can "test" first and see if it removes/replaces too much of
your testing or stable installation. Backports will have similar effect but
you have to manually build, install every piece.

Want to try unstable without going over to it. Use the virtual machine or a
live-CD such as knoppix.