Re: apt-get pinning ? - Sarge / Stable - only install certain/specific packages from "testing"

--- Willie Wonka <floydstestemail@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Olafur Jens Sigurdsson wrote:
> > you can just say apt-get update
> > and then apt-get install hdparm and it will install hdparm and upgrade
> > all the packages that hdparm depends on and none else.

> Ok...Great -- will do

Ok...So after I performed the actual upGRADE;

~$ sudo apt-get upgrade

I do this

~$ sudo apt-get install hdparm

	Reading Package Lists... Done
	Building Dependency Tree... Done
	hdparm is already the newest version.

So obviously I'm still at v6.1, rather than 6.6 (the one I want)

So...I try this (after reading the 'man apt_preferences' pages) and trying to
understand how to make "pinning" work for me...

~$ sudo apt-get install hdparm/testing
	Reading Package Lists... Done
	Building Dependency Tree... Done
	Selected version 6.6-1 (Debian:testing) for hdparm
	or been moved out of Incoming.

	that package should be filed.

	hdparm: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge3 is to be
	installed
	E: Broken packages

How can I get hdparm v6.6 installed? It depends on atleast libc6 2.3.6-6...I
suspect my "testing" pinning entries within /etc/apt/preferences are of too low
a priority?? ...or maybe I should/can install libc6 2.3.6-6 *also* - on it's
own?
I understand the need for APT to work the way it does : For ex; Suppose libc6
2.3.6-6 also has other unmet dependencies -- this can quickly turn into a big
mess. I understand that. What would be the correct "debian" way to proceed?

Thanks for your time

Regards