Re: apt-get pinning ? - Sarge / Stable - only install certain/specific packages from "testing"

Olafur Jens Sigurdsson wrote:
> Þann 2006-06-26, 16:22:08 (-0700) skrifaði Willie Wonka:
> Hi.

Hi and Thanks for your reply...

> If you want to updgrade only one or two apps then all you have to do
> is say apt-get install nameofpackage, and apt-get will download and
> install the package and all its dependencies and take care of this for
> you.

I see - However: because (A) I have only added the "testing" pinning (in
/etc/apt/preferences) *and* the deb-src for 'testing' in /etc/apt/sources.list
entry today ...and (B) I haven't yet actually performed the 'apt-get update'
(only simulated)...I suppose that when I do this 'update' -- then after a
'apt-get install hdparm' it will be upgraded?

Before today, I have done 'apt-get update' on  fairly regular basis (for
Security updates mainly) ;-)
Right now, when I do 'apt-get install hdparm' I get;

~$ sudo apt-get install hdparm
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
****hdparm is already the newest version.****
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.

Note the hdparm is already the newest, when in fact it isn't... I guess the "10
not upgraded" is telling me to upgrade first? Oversight on my part? More
below...

> > * Is "Sarge" (Stable) now considered version 3.1r2 ?

> Yes, see http://www.debian.org/News/2006/20060419

Thanks - as I suspected

> > * If so, how can I make upgrade mine from 3.1r1 to 3.1r2 -- would it be as
> > simple as 'sudo apt-get update' ?

> apt-get update only updates the repository for your computer. That is
> it only fetches a file from the server you specify in
> /etc/apt/sources.list that says what packages are available and where
> to find them (along with other info).

I did not know this was the aspect - are you sure the 'apt-get update' doesnt
actually install the updates? (please see my security concerns above).

> To actually upgrade you have to do apt-get upgrade.

I see - no upgrading till I say so ...excellent! (I guess)

> > * Which command can I use to show/tell if I'm using 3.1r1? -- and how when
> > I get to 3.1r2?
>
> If you havent set up your system with a distribution that was made
> after 19th of april or done a apt-get upgrade since then, then you are
> using r1.

I used a 3.1r1 CD and installed a few months ago and have not *upgraded* at all
yet - but have *updated* regularly as mentioned.

Do I understand correctly; and imagine for a moment there are no "testing"
distribution entries anywhere on this system - only Stable - (as it was up
until today) -- that even though I upDATED, these (security) updates are NOT
applied? ..until I actually upGRADE? False sense of security do I have?
Thanks for any clarification

> > ~$ uname -a doesn't not seem to show that info.
>
> A double negative ... tsk tsk tsk :-)

te he ... whooops!
Apologies about the doesn't...doesn't it make ya ;-)

> This only shows kernel specific info, the file /etc/debian_version is
> the one that you are looking for.

Aha!...Thanks
~$ cat /etc/debian_version
3.1

> Since you seem to be using testing now...

Remember, only today did I add those entries - nothing yet has been installed,
updated, upgraded, etc...

> you can just say apt-get update
> and then apt-get install hdparm and it will install hdparm and upgrade
> all the packages that hdparm depends on and none else.

Ok...Great -- will do

> HTH

Very much so, and thank you

> Oli