Re: Xorg Configuration in Etch

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 04:47:06PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:34:38 -0400, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:
>
> So, if I understand you correctly, you don't have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> file at all, and "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" refuses to generate
> one? (Usually people have trouble with an existing customized xorg.conf
> which dpkg-reconfigure refuses to update.)

That's right. Except that Bill Jones just told me where I can download a
default copy. I did so, repeated my attempt to reconfigure after copying
the new xorg.conf to /etc/X11, and I get the same behavior. The
reconfigure dialog seems normal, but the new file is not update. The
modification time matches when I copied it there, not when I
reconfigured, and a diff between it and the downloaded copy show no
differences.

> Do you have the file /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum? Maybe that is
> confusing the configuration script. (I think that a non-existing file
> can never match any md5sum.)

No, I do not have such a file.

> What version of xserver-xorg are you using? Is it a fresh install or an
> upgrade from an older Xorg/XFree86?

It is a fresh install. Never had Xfree 86 on the system, although some
console apps I have been using had brought in some x libraries.
pdftotext for instance is part of the xpdf package. But I have never
done a full install of any x-window-system until I did the xorg install.

Chuck

Get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
  and remember, INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE!