Re: OOo2 from backports questions

Anthony Simonelli wrote:

Marc,

Your original problem is the very reason I just sent
my email today entitled "OpenOffice.org 2.0 users
beware!".  This explains that the libfreetype6
security upgrade causes the saving problem and that
you must downgrade to the previous version and hold
that package using aptitude.  Download the older
version here:

http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/f/freetype/

select your arch and download version 2.1.7-2.4.  Then
install using dpgk -i.
I just decided that it was probably easier to uninstall the upstream version and install the backports version. That way, all of the dependancies actually show up. (In a previous thread I had noted that, in trying to eliminate the last of KDE from my system -- by uninstalling libarts1 -- that one package, openoffice.org-core04u, was to be uninstalled, but that it would leave the rest, in a probably unusable state. We all know that RPMs leave one in dependancy hell, and when they are converted to .debs it does not seem to improve any.) If I had found this information about libfreetype6 before I converted I would probably have just downgraded the package and kept the rest of my system as it was. I'm not going to change it all back, now that I have the backports version working, however. Besides, now I can probably get rid of those last vestiges of KDE.

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail