Re: Can not use Gnome in Debian Sid

Richard van der Veen <richard.vd.veen@gmail.com> [06/06/23 11:56] typed :
> ... when i open a menu in the top -bar the last two (places &
> System) are opening OK, but when i open the application menu it
> starts flickering and i can not click any item in it. Did anybody
> recognize this and maybe knows what is wrong? ... Do i just need to
> wait for new updates? ...

I run Gnome on Sid and I face the exact problem. I don't recall when
it appeared but I have been experiencing this for at least a couple of
months now.

For me, gnome starts up normally. When I click on the application
menu, the menu starts flickering. Running top shows that the
gnome-panel is consuming almost all the CPU. Killing it (causing the
panel to restart) fixes the CPU consumption problem.

I have been updating anything that I can find related to gnome panel
but as I said earlier, the problem has persisted for a while. It
doesn't bother me too much as I have learned to use Alt-F2 to start my
applications.

I tried moving my .gnome* files out of the way as suggested in another
response, but the problem is still there.

sridhar
--
Sridhar Srinivasan (sridhar@zsridhar.com)
http://www.zsridhar.com/