Re: Need Help with ADSL

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 18:52 +0300, klkl lklk wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I recently purchased an all-in-one ADSL offer, including an ADSL
> modem, ZTE ZXDSL 852. Once again, no linux drivers were included. So,
> here are my questions
> 1) how can I make linux communicate with the modem via USB.
> 2)how can I create a ppp connection for it.(the isp told me that i
> should create a normal dial-up connection, using the modem and calling
> a special number. So far so good in windows. How can get this thing
> working in Linux)
> and
> 3) does anybody know about any drivers for this modem or at least
> generic drivers that work with it.
> My distro is Debian Sarge, kernel 2.6.8
> Thanks a lot!

Hello,
I was in a similar situation. A driver may or may not exist for your
modem type. Try to search for it including the VID and PID in the search
string. (These are two 2-byte hex numbers - you may obtain them via
usbview or in window$.) Then, if you have managed to install the driver,
simply set up the connection using pppoeconf (assuming your ISP uses
PPPoE). The "special number" consists of your VCI and VPI (Virtual
Channel Identifier and Virtual Path Identifier). Your ISP should provide
those.
The hard part is finding the driver, which means rebooting every 20
minutes. (Assuming you have Internet connection only in window$.) Once
the driver works,setting up a connection should not be a problem.
Good luck!

--
Szia:
                        Nyizsa.