Re: problem with etch2 netinstaller on laptop

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 17:21:32 +0200, Roberto Bernetti wrote:
> Alle 05:17, sabato 10 giugno 2006, Christopher Nelson ha scritto:
> >
> > So what exactly happens?  Does it hard-freeze?  Is there an 'ok' box on
> > the screen?  What can and/or can't you do from there?  It sounds like a
> > warning, not a critical error.
> Hi
> I tryed Ubuntu and Mepis but I still prefer Debian and I'd like to make it
> work on my laptop.
> After the warning the software installation step was interrupted, I was able
> to continue the installation till the end, but the system had the xwindow not
> working.
> I solved selecting only the installation of base system in tasksel step of the
> installer and after the reboot I run again tasksel and safe complete the
> software installation.
> At the moment I had the following two open problem:
>
> 1: video card intel 945GM doesn't work at its best, the system choose the vesa
> driver, on the intel site it is not very clear how to install their software
> to use with debian
>
> 2: intel wireless PRO/wireless doesn't work same problem at the intel site

You installed Stable/Sarge, right? Unfortunately it has a version of
XFree86 which is too old to support your video card and a version of the
kernel which is too old to support your wireless network card. (The
ipw2100 and ipw2200 work "out of the box" with more recent kernels; for
ipw3xxx cards it is a bit more complicated.)

At the moment I would not recommend going to Testing/Etch (let alone
Unstable/Sid) unless you are already quite experienced with Linux. There
is currently a major transition of the X window system and, as Murphy
would have it, the driver of your graphics card ("i810") is partially
broken even on Etch and Sid. (There is no "direct rendering" hardware
acceleration unless you use some packages from the experimental
repository.)

I think your best option is to install a backported version of Xorg 6.9
and of the 2.6.16 kernel. Have a look at the instructions on
http://backports.org; we can of course help you with the details if you
choose to take that route.

--
Regards,