postfix table notation (cidr) dificulties

I am trying to implement a cidr notation for my networks on a separate
file and loading them in postfix main.cf as

    mynetworks = cidr:/etc/postfix/files/mynetworks

but when I do postmap cidr:/etc/postfix/files/mynetworks i get this error

     ../postfix/files # postmap cidr:mynetworks
    postmap: fatal: dict_mkmap_func: unsupported dictionary type: cidr:
    Is the postfix-cidr package installed?

To find out if I have cidr available I issued

     ../postfix/files # postconf -m
    btree
    cidr
    environ
    hash
    ldap
    mysql
    nis
    pcre
    pgsql
    proxy
    regexp
    sdbm
    static
    tcp
    unix

and it is there to use but I can't create a map file.  Any suggestions.
This looks to be a debian issue.

-adam