Re: VNC client/server combo doing VNC over HTTP

On Friday 10 March 2006 09:29, nullman wrote:
> 2 short infos to clarify :
>
> 1. VNC over http doesn´t exist
> 2. Port-Numbers can be altered with any version
>
> Solution would be : ssh on Port 443 ... with that you can trick most
> proxies with the "connect" method to use any proxy-capable ssh-client
> (putty for example)
> -> after ssh-connection is ok .. you can do vnc-over-ssh (simple
> Port-forwarding)

I couldn't get this to work in one of my situations, due to a nasty
firewall.  What I have found that seems to work is using stunnel to
tunnel the VNC data through port 443 as HTTPS data, close to what is
mentioned above.  I'm still working on part of the solution, since I
can't easily install stunnel on my clients Linux systems.  When I'm all
done, I'll post my results, since there has been very little on this
list to directly apply to this -- at least on my case.

Here's a link to stunnel: http://www.stunnel.org

And here's a link to a tutorial about it, but it follows Windows, so
you'll have to make some allowances and when they tell you to use
ca.bat, it'll work best to download the file, extract the files that do
the work, and convert them to Linux and run just those lines.  You'll
get some "directory does not exist" errors, but if you make the
directory and re-run the program line, it'll work.  At one point it'll
complain about no index file, so do "echo 00 >index" and it'll fix it
-- forgot what dir that is needed in, though.

I'll have more detailed instructions later, when I've got all my stuff
behaving at 100%.

Hal