Re: help with Debian [How to upload a website to a debian web server]

Cuthbert Smith Consulting wrote:

Thank you, I have tried contacting my host, but have not had much luck which was why I went to Debian/Apache. I will keep trying, thanks for your information.

Cuthbert Smith Consulting Partnership Inc.
400, 14727 - 87 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5R 4E5
Tel:   (780) 484-3232
Fax: (780) 489-8925
e-mail: edmonton@cuthbertsmith.com
This communication is intended for the sole use of the recipient to
which it was addressed and may contain confidential, personal or
privileged information. Please contact the sender immediately if you
are not the intended recipient of this information and do not copy,
distribute or take action relying on it. Any communication received
in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed. Thank you.

Here's the bottom line. Your provider should have provided you with information, understandable to non-techie people, on how to upload your website content on their server. If they didn't, they damn well ought to have done.

As someone else mentioned the most common / simplest mechanism is for them to give you the address of an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) server somewhere on the net that you send your files to. The more sophisticated providers will wrap that up in some sort of website so you essentially go to the site, log in, click links to upload your HTML etc files, wait a short while and hey presto your website is deployed. Less sophisticated ones just give you an address, a login and a password but will probably give you more help if you ask / pay for it.

If your provider has done none of the above despite your asking specifically for help with this problem, you should consider switching providers as that quite frankly is crap.

The fact that your provider allows the default Debian / Apache page to display if you don't upload content, and doesn't instead replace that with their own page saying how great they are and what a great deal their subscribers get by using them, tends to place them in the non-sophisticated category in my mind -- but I could be wrong. In any event they ought to be willing to help non-technical customers get their site up and running.

Apologies if I seem to have got unnecessarily fired up about this one, but seeing non-technical people lost in the techie wilderness and getting no help raises my hackles like nothing else, and some of the people in this forum, while all trying to be helpful I'm sure, have been guilty of making the same assumptions as your provider seems to have made -- viz that you are technically skilled at maintaining a web site.

Anyway focus your energies on your provider, don't take no (or silence) for an answer, and ultimately consider switching providers if you don't get the help you deserve. (Please don't ask me to recommend a provider -- I'm afraid I don't know)

Good luck

Mark