Re: help with Debian [How to upload a website to a debian web server]

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 10:10:52AM -0700, Cuthbert Smith Consulting wrote:
> So, when I type in the domain name, it opens up to this Debian/Apache page
> "Welcome to your new home in cyberspace".
>
> I am not a computer programmer, but feel fairly confident in my computer
> skills, I have created my website using FrontPage.  I need to know how to
> now upload my website to our webpage.

The process is as follows:

1) Contact the administrator that setup your web server.
   Ask him/her to provide you with:
   a) username
   b) password
   c) protocol to upload files with and recommendation on software to use:
      i) ftp
     ii) scp (ex: winscp http://winscp.net/eng/download.php )
    iii) ...
   d) server location ( of course "cuthbertsmith.com" would work).
   e) directory to upload your files to after you connect to your server.

2) Download the recommended software to communicate with your web server.

3) Use that software to connect to your webserver, entering in your
   username/password

4) browse to the directory to upload your files to.

5) upload your files,
   (overwriting the default index.html page that you see now)

Todd.