dependency hell dist-upgrade the "right way"

Since, lately, I've had a coupla systems give he all kinds of hell. I'm
curious if you guys have some hints to do a fresh install the "right"
way? Including upgrading to unstable or testing. Both end up in kde
dependency hell.

Installing sarge choosing no packages, then dist-upgrading, then install
kde doesn't work. Why? kde dependency hell. (Once you get past the udev
bug and the locales bug)

So, maybe my methodology is wrong. I run unstable on this box I'm on and
don't remember having trouble doing so.. Works just fine as it always
has in the past. I've never before had such problems upgrading as I have
lately. Testing and unstable both seem to have some problems..
Anyone do a fresh install the last week or two that's worked for them?
Hints?

--
Highest Regards,

Rodney Richison