Re: dependency hell dist-upgrade the "right way"

Hello

Rodney Richison (<rodney@rcrcomputing.com>) wrote:

> Since, lately, I've had a coupla systems give he all kinds of hell.
> I'm curious if you guys have some hints to do a fresh install the
> "right" way? Including upgrading to unstable or testing. Both end up
> in kde dependency hell.
>
> Installing sarge choosing no packages, then dist-upgrading, then
> install kde doesn't work. Why? kde dependency hell. (Once you get past
> the udev bug and the locales bug)
>
> So, maybe my methodology is wrong. I run unstable on this box I'm on
> and don't remember having trouble doing so.. Works just fine as it
> always has in the past. I've never before had such problems upgrading
> as I have lately. Testing and unstable both seem to have some
> problems.. Anyone do a fresh install the last week or two that's
> worked for them? Hints?

There have been some C++ Transitions in the past, also a lot of
additional software for KDE is not in Testing. Some have or had RC
bugs, and they can't migrate now from unstable because the unstable
packages have already been built for KDE 3.5. KDE itself in testing
should however be OK.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270