Xorg not working with Matrox G550?? MGAGetBOARDHANDLESize

This I don't need!  Sure hope someone can help.

I've avoided a dist-upgrade for a while as last time X would not
start until I download drivers from Matrox site.

No such luck this time.

Now I have this problem:

  undefined symbol: MGAGetBOARDHANDLESize

But that bug report ends with this:

    This user was using the proprietary mga_hal driver, which we can't
    support.  Closing this bug, which he's fixed by removing this
    module.

Well, that's not helping.  So what's the solution?

I removed mga_hal.so and now startx gets the monitor to switch
modes and then hangs (so no text mode anymore).

The log shows:

    (EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal" (module does not exist, 0)
    (==) MGA(0): Matrox HAL module not loaded - using builtin mode setup instead

(ok, that's expected)

Then this:

    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
    drmOpenDevice: Open failed
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
    drmOpenDevice: Open failed
    drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is 8, (OK)
    drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 8
    drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports+
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card1
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
    drmOpenDevice: Open failed
    drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns -1023
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card2
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
    drmOpenDevice: Open failed
    drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns -1023
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card3
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
    drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
    drmOpenDevice: Open failed

    [repeats until cart19 and then just stops]

By the way, how do I get auth to remotely try and start the xserver?
My main display is dead in the water so I'm debugging this via ssh.

moseley@bumby:~$ DISPLAY=0.0 startx
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/moseley/.serverauth.3590
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit:  Server error.

It's not like the G550 is an uncommon or new board.

I sure have not enjoyed the move to xorg.  There the above problem and
it seems to leak memory and when I exit the xserver I never get my
console back and would have reboot.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org