Re: Program Needs libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

On Saturday 28 January 2006 17:32, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 January 2006 15:13, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >>On my Sid system I have the library as a symlink
> >>
> >>/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 -> libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so
> >>
> >>and it came from the package "libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2". This package is
> >>available on both Etch and Sid. Maybe installing it is enough to solve
> >>your problem.
> >
> > I can't find a package by that name.  When I search in aptitude, I can
> > find several starting with libstdc++, but once I add "2" after it, I get
> > nothing.
>
> I think I know what the problem is: aptitude and apt-cache both accept
> regular expressions for their search strings, but that means that "+"
> and "." acquire special functions. "." is harmless since it is a
> wildcard which matches any one character including a literal ".", but
> "+" is now an operator which means that the preceding character has to
> be matched one or more times. Therefore, if you tell aptitude to search
> for "libstdc++2" it will try to find "libstdc2" or "libstdcc2" or
> "libstdccc2" etc., but not a literal "libstdc++2". You have to escape
> these characters by prefixing them with a "\" if you want them to loose
> their special functions, e.g.
> $ aptitude search "libstdc\+\+2\.10-glibc2\.2"
> $ apt-cache search "libstdc\+\+2\.10-glibc2\.2"
>
> I did not notice this because at first I just used
> $ apt-cache policy libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
> to find out which Debian branches include the package. In that case the
> search string is not interpreted as a regular expression.
>
> To make a long story short, I am convinced that your aptitude will find
> the package if you tell it directly to install it:
> $ aptitude install libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2

I should have known to check about wildcards.  It just slipped my mind since I
was so focused on everything else.  (This isn't the only glitch I had with
this install, but I expected that with Sid -- If I wanted no glitches, I'd
use Sarge on this!)

Once I escaped them, I found it quickly and installed it.  The only conflicts
it removed were the headers for my new 2.6.15 kernel, which I had installed
to add my nVidia driver.  (Without the later 2.6.x kernels, I get a jumpy
mouse movement unless I downgrade to a 2.4 kernel.)

I've installed it and tested it right away and RealVNC works fine.  I checked
the directory and the symlink is there, so installing the package seems to
create the symlink as well.

Thanks for the help!

This may be a small thing, but it's a lot less stress knowing I can
troubleshoot my clients' computers with it again.

Hal