Re: Program Needs libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Hal Vaughan wrote:
On Saturday 28 January 2006 15:13, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

On my Sid system I have the library as a symlink

/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 -> libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so

and it came from the package "libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2". This package is
available on both Etch and Sid. Maybe installing it is enough to solve
your problem.

I can't find a package by that name. When I search in aptitude, I can find several starting with libstdc++, but once I add "2" after it, I get nothing.

I think I know what the problem is: aptitude and apt-cache both accept
regular expressions for their search strings, but that means that "+"
and "." acquire special functions. "." is harmless since it is a
wildcard which matches any one character including a literal ".", but
"+" is now an operator which means that the preceding character has to
be matched one or more times. Therefore, if you tell aptitude to search
for "libstdc++2" it will try to find "libstdc2" or "libstdcc2" or
"libstdccc2" etc., but not a literal "libstdc++2". You have to escape
these characters by prefixing them with a "\" if you want them to loose
their special functions, e.g.
$ aptitude search "libstdc\+\+2\.10-glibc2\.2"
$ apt-cache search "libstdc\+\+2\.10-glibc2\.2"

I did not notice this because at first I just used
$ apt-cache policy libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
to find out which Debian branches include the package. In that case the
search string is not interpreted as a regular expression.

To make a long story short, I am convinced that your aptitude will find
the package if you tell it directly to install it:
$ aptitude install libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2

If that should not work I will send you my sources.list for comparison,
but there is really nothing special in there, only the standard Debian
repositories.

You might also want to have a look at the "virtual packages" section in
aptitude. It has packages such as "c++-compiler" which make sure that
all necessary tools and libraries are installed at once. That is handy
if you want to compile programs yourself or use non-Debian binaries
which might have been linked against all sorts of standard libraries.

If your problem persists even with the library installed then it might
help to run "ldd -v vncviewer" to get more information.

Done, but I don't follow most of what it says. I've pasted it in at the bottom of this in case it can give someone else something that'll help.

It seems to me everything is fine except for that one missing library.
(libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 => not found)

Regards,
           Florian