Re: apt-get failure: "no script in the new version of the package"

Still no luck. I've discovered that "dpkg --configure -a" is my friend
-- it seemed to uncork things a bit, but it only helped so much. A
broken esound-common install still seems to be the crux of the problem,
but the error messages I'm getting are a deep mystery.

What am I doing wrong? I would be grateful for _any_ help, even if I
have to muck about inside /var/lib/dpkg/info, putting right what once
went wrong, and hoping that each tweak will be the tweak home.

root@focus:~# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  esound-common
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libwine libwine-print libwine-twain wine wine-utils winetools
  esound-common
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 1892 not upgraded.
8 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/38.2kB of archives.
After unpacking 11.2MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 358586 files and directories currently
installed.)
Preparing to replace esound-common 0.2.35-2.1 (using
.../esound-common_0.2.36-3_all.deb) ...
/usr/share/doc-base/esound-common: cannot open control file for
reading: No such file or directory
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/esound-common_0.2.36-3_all.deb (--unpack):
 there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up
 /var/cache/apt/archives/esound-common_0.2.36-3_all.deb
root@focus:~#

Ron Hale-Evans
rwhe@ludism.org