Re: Hardware RAID, software RAID, 3ware 9550SX, level 1 vs. level 5

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 04:50:47PM -0500, Joseph H. Fry wrote:
versions of your favorite distro... an array created by mdadm today will likely be readable by most linux distros for many years to come.

Yes, that's certainly true. And I think, you can boot from a software RAID1 without much trouble, even if / or /boot are RAID1.

Hardware RAID has the advantage, that you can put your whole system on a RAID5 array without thinking about complex initrds. But you should have a replacement controler from the same type as backup.

I never had problems with 3ware controlers.

As far as the best redundancy... I like raid 50. Raid 50 is essentially a raid 5 array that is mirrored to another raid 5 array... this protects

Hm, are you sure? Mirroring is RAID1. RAID10 means, that you have one RAID0 array mirrored at another one. Since you need three disks for a RAID5, I thought RAID50 would mean a RAID5 array over at least three RAID0 arrays (each with at least two disks, so RAID50 should need at least 6 disks).

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz                    E-Mail: Nur-Ab-Sal@gmx.de |