Re: Support for usb digital cameras in sarge 2.6.8-2-386 kernel

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 06:43:01PM -0800, Wu-Kung Sun wrote:
> When I switched from Knoppix to Debian when Sarge went stable, I lost
> the ability to use my usb digital camera (neither usb-uhci or usb-ohci
> modules were installed).  Several months ago I asked and someone said
> I have to recompile the kernel.  I couldn't believe that everyone
> using Sarge had to recompile to use a camera (they're not everywhere

You do _not_ have to recompile the kernel to get usb camera working.
Maybe you had to in Slink, but not in Sarge.

> but they're no so uncommon) but I didn't have time to learn how to
> recompile at the time.  Now that I'm going to install an ati 9600xt
> I'm going to have to recompile anyway.  I'm leary of making mistakes
> that'll take too long to recover from so my question is: is it correct
> that everyone with Sarge must recompile to use a digital camera?  If
> not, what do I need to do?

On the other hand, you should be aware that udev is standard in recent
kernels and you should expect to use it in working with your camera.

My advice is to first get your issues with ati 9600xt behind you, and
_then_ look at

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

--
Paul E Condon