Safe to upgrade Perl in Sarge?

Hi,

There's a security upgrade for perl in sarge, but I'm not sure if it's safe to install it:

$ apt-listbugs list perl
Reading package fields... Done
Reading package status... Done
Retrieving bug reports... Done
grave bugs of perl (5.8.4-8 -> ) <open>
#231082 - spamassassin: spamc hangs since most recent perl package updates for stable
 #283320 - perl FTBFS on mipsel/lasat, but not on mipsel/cobalt

We're using spamassassin via exiscan-acl. I don't know if that uses spamc, or has the same problem. I'd like to upgrade perl to the new version of course, but not if that breaks our spam filter.

Is it safe to upgrade? Alternatively, what's the best way to go back to the previous version of perl if I update it and find out that the new version breaks our spamfilter?

Roel Schroeven