Re: setting proper resolution on my lcd

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:42:33PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> just got a brnad new dell 1905fp, which mostly works great.  Having
> trouble getting it to display at its native 1280x1024, though.
> Instead I seem to have it at 1162x1054, which would be fine, but the
> fonts look a little bit unsharp.
>
> I've messed around a bit with my xorg.conf, (I'm running sid, a little
> out of date, still have 6.8.2-dfsg.1-9 installed) but none of the
> changes I make seem to help with this particular problem.  Here are
> the relevant bits of my xorg.conf (lots of extraneous stuff snipped:
>
> ----------------------
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"geforce 4 ddr"
> 	Driver		"nv"
> #	Screen 0
> 	BusID		"PCI:01:00:00"
> EndSection
>

> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier "DELL 1905FP"
> #	VendorName  "DELL"
> #	ModelName "Dell 1905FB (Analog)"
> 	Option "DPMS"
> 	HorizSync 30.0 - 80.0
> 	VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0

Hi Matt,

I'm no X.org master but I've had this problem before and it turned out
that refresh rates that were auto-detected were incorrect. Going on a
hunch I looked up the specs for your monitor here:

http://urlx.org/dell.com/2e07

and it shows that the max vertical sync rate is 75Hz and horizontal sync
rate is 80KHz. Your x.org conf has the max vert as 76.0. Try editing
this value to 75.0 and see if that will get rid of those "out of range
errors" and allow you to use 1280x1024.

HTH and Good Luck,
Ken