Re: KDE3.5

On Sunday 15 January 2006 23:35, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > I have it working off a konstruct build.
>
> About 2 weeks (?) ago (I run etch) was only able to get kde3.5 via
> konstruct - only a few files refused to build - krita, kaffeine and
> some others. But kde3.5 was mostly compiled. Still had diffculty
> running it - there might have been dcop corruption, I am not sure - but
> starting it basically ate up all my swap. (Actually this was possibly a
> week ago - I notice my uptime is now 7 days, and I think I had to bring
> the system down because of that issue -- anyway, it was pretty recent.

Konstruct is very ticklish. A good way to run it is make -k ....
This will make everything it CAN make. You may catch the error messages it
cannot.
Now run without the -k. It will stop at each failed make, download problem,
and try again.
For kaffeine, go to the apps/multimedia and make it there.
Same for a lot of stuff like kdevelop, koffice, et. al.  meta/kde3/Makefile
does NOT install these!

> But I since have been able to bring in the alioth kde 3.5 packages
> without aptitude trying to remove 400-odd packages or having it tell me
> such and such package is uninstallable. Most of what comprises kde3.5
> is installed now. Still no kaffeine (doesn't seem to be available
> yet -- aptitude reports no candidate versino found.)

The problem with alioth is there is no upgrade path. You specify the version
in your /etc/apt/sources.list. From Sid, 3.5.1 will come in as it is posted.

> > Is this thing ready to play of Sid or should I stick with my konstuct
> > build?
>
> Don't know for sure, since I am using the alioth packages and those are
> not "official" debian. It will probably be sometime before they enter
> testing, at any rate

Cost nothing to wait and see. Your alioth works mostly. My konstruct is 99%.