Using USB Memory-Stick with Debian

With the help of Google, I have located the following instructions
for configuring Debian to recognise the presence of a USB Memory-Stick:

,----[ memory_stick.txt ]-
| USB memory stick
|
|   * plug in Memory-Stick
|   * become root (su -)
|   * modprobe usb-storage
|   * in /etc/fstab: directly after the line with "proc  /proc ..."
|     add a line like this:
|     usbdevfs   /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs noauto,user   0 0
|   * now root may mount the memory stick:  mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
|     and read/write on /mnt
|   * in /etc/fstab enter a line as follows:
|     /dev/sda1  /usbstick       auto    user,noauto    0 0
|   * mkdir /usbstick
|   * in /etc/modules add:
|     # For USB memory stick
|     usb-storage
|   * Now every user may mount and umount /usbstick
`--

Pointers to relevant documentation (that would enable amateurs to
understand what is suggested in the recipe) would be welcome.

Felix Karpfen
--
Felix Karpfen