Re: [Fwd: Re: "Antispam UOL" spam from petsupermarket@uol.com.br?]

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:
> (2) UOL is stripping the information necessary to find out who did
> this, so the listmaster *can't* know which account to scrub.

How?  The only always reliable information a listmaster can use to know
which account to scrub is a VERPified FROM header and envelope, so that you
get error replies back TO that VERPified address.

Oh, if it is a directly-subscribed user, the headers are enough (no VERP
needed). If it is an indirectly-subscribed user whose mail goes only over
nice MTAs that disclose the forwarding fully in the Received: headers, then
you could track it without VERP as well...

But that's a lot of "if"s.

The problem here is that they are not using VERP at all, not even when they
need a "VERP pulse" (I wouldn't presume to tell someone to have VERP done
automatically, they may have damn good reasons not to).  That's why this
user is giving them so much trouble.

  Henrique Holschuh