Re: New kernel does not install

On 2005-11-06 16:51:19, John Plate wrote:
> Hi Felix
>
> > Probably the initrd.
> >
> > Try
> > # make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --append-to-version -jp --revision 01
> >   --initrd kernel_image
>
> Yes - you was right.
>
> I didn't use the --initrd option as I got a warning from make-kpkg.
> Instead I did a mkinitrd and inserted by hand the initrd setting in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> The new kernel booted correctly.
>
> Please tell me how you compile the kernel? Do you use grub?

Hi,

I don't use grub (since I use Debian PPC).

I compile the same way you do:
# fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version "-flx0-ppc" --rev flx0
  --initrd kernel-image

You don't need an initrd, but then you have to make sure the drivers
you need are compiled into the kernel, not as modules.

I prefer to use the standard Debian kernels, but I needed an extra
feature, so I just added that to the default Debian kernel
configuration and recompiled. Now I have a lot of modules I don't
need, but I prefer to have a (close to) standard kernel.

Felix

--
Felix C. Stegerman <flx@hccnet.nl>

"Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature."
 -- R. Kulawiec