Re: Shutdown due to thermal event (sid)

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005, Mauro Condarelli wrote:
> How am I supposed to use this modified lm85.c??
> The nearest to compiling i went is just to replace the same file
> in my kernel source tree (2.6.24-1-686).

There is no 2.6.24 :) I assue you mean 2.6.14.

The file is for 2.6.13.4, just replace the one in the kernel.  I will
forward port it to 2.6.14 sooner or later, and when I do so, I will try to
do it in a way that lm-sensors upstream can accept it.  I will crospost it
to this thread.

> > The logic inside the adm1027 is way better, use it.  Setup the
> > chip directly
> > in sysfs, as lm-sensors usermode code is broken, too.
> again: how am I supposed to use this?

See package sysfsutils, and file /etc/sysfs.conf, or just echo the desired
values to the proper file in /sys.

> Please, can someone point me to a *detailed* description of just
> how to have fan control this working?

Well, for 2.6.*13*, replace the lm85.c file in the kernel source with the
one I gave you, recompile kernel and reboot. Install package sysfsutils, ænd
place the sysfs lines in /etc/sysfs.conf.  Then run /etc/init.d/sysfsutils
start.

> 2) I'm pretty sure that something is wrong since the RPMs of the various fans (primarily the CPU!) do not change with temperature (as they should) and do not respond to manual setting of PWMs.

You are not getting any sort of proper readout from the PWM-controlled fans.
The CPU and voltage-regulator fans in Intel desktop boards are *NOT*
PWM-controlled AFAIK (they are not controlled in the D875PBZ for sure), and
these should read the speed correctly even without the patch... but you
cannot get them to run any slower (they're already at top speed, and fixed
there).  At least not with motherboard control.

> 3) I hope the power supply is enough since I have a 500W PS.

That means nothing if it comes from a shoddy vendor. And most power
supply vendors ARE selling crap.

Someone tested 20 or so power supplies in a power supply manufacturer's
laboratory in Taiwan sometime ago. They did all the *proper* testing with
electronic-calibrated loads, etc.  A lot of "respectable manufacturers" were
selling outright fire hazards.  Try to find this review, almost every other
power supply review I have seen on the network is just utter crap (hint: no
load testing using *calibrated* loads [a computer is *NOT* a calibrated
load] and no measuring of the input current means the test was done by a
know-nothing amateur or by a liar).

The only power supplies I recall being true to the specs were Zalman ones,
but that's because I own one and paid special attention to its review and
tests.  There were at least five other good PSUs in that review, some of
them better than Zalman's.

  Henrique Holschuh