backups RE: ATA 80GB disk recommendation

hi ya david

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, David Christensen wrote:

> In any case, I back up compulsively -- important data in four places: current
> image, nightly tarballs on another drive in the same box, tarballs rsync'd to
> another box nightly, and tarballs burned to DVD monthly.

very good .. you're just as paranoid as me .. i keep anywhere from 3-6
copies of the same "important" files

- i see you haven't been hit with a power surge that took out everything
  connected to the power supply ( disks, motherboard, mem .. etc )
	- once is all it takes :-) to put "important" backup elsewhere
	than on the same pc

- i'm gonna assume that your nightly incrementals is NOT just for
  tonight, but starts from when your last full backup was done
	- lets say you did a full backup each sunday ...

	- if mondays backup failed, than tue/wed backups are worthless
	  since mondays changes was not saved anywhere due to any number
	  of reasons why backups fails ( usually bad nic cable, or our
	  of disk space or gazillion reasons )
		- incrementals should always span across full backups

	- weekly backups can span 8 days ..
	- monthly backups can span 32 or 62 days ..
	.. etc ..

	- and new backups should not overwrite previous backups :-)

c ya
alvin